The original cathedral was built in 774 by St. Virgil (745-784). After the fire of 1598 reconstruction of the cathedralcommenced in 1614 under Prince Archbishop Markus Sittikus to plans by Santino Solari. Consecrated in 1628 by PrinceArchbishop Paris Lodron. Destroyed by fire and rebuilt, enlarged and expanded, Through Paris Lodron's clever diplomacy,the heavily fortified city escaped most of the hardships of the Thirty Years' War so that the consecration of theCathedral became the largest and most pompous festival that Salzburg ever experienced.In 1944 the dome and part of the chancel were destroyed during a bomb attack. The necessary renovations were carriedout and the Cathedral consecrated in its former magnificence in 1959. The three years found in the gates to the Cathedralare in memory of the three consecrations: "774", "1628" and "1959". Four statues are located in front of the mainfacade: the apostles Peter and Paul with keys and sword as well as the two patron saints Rupert and Virgil with a salt boxand a model of the church.